Thursday, April 21, 2011

That's How I Roll - Birthday Embroidery

My husband's birthday was on Wednesday.  It is hard to surprise someone by making them something when you live in the same house and he works from home. 

I had this idea in mind for him for a while - I got it one day when he was looking at tshirts online and they had a similar print.  I purchased the hoop one day at Spotlight not sure what it would be used for, but thought of it when I was in my "must make my husband's birthday present" mode.  I had thought it was a darker blue, rather than teal, but didn't mind the colour when I looked as saw matching embroidery floss in my stash.  As for the fabric, I was going to use plain cream cotton but then found the white ripstop nylon which reminds me of parachutes and further ties into the aviation theme.

Unfortunately, my husband was attending a funeral on Tuesday, but it did give me some alone time to stitch this up.  As a bonus, my little girl napped for 2.5 hours which was long enough for me to get the main stitching done.

 And a close up of my stitches.  I'm no expert at embroidery and this was all free-handed, but I think it came out great.  Mainly backstitch, with satin stitch on the planes, and french knots for the wheels and punctuation.

No comments:

Post a Comment